I’ve always had a bit of a taste for Mexican food. I love the spices, all the flavours.
Unfortunately, the more healthy eating I did, the less Mexican food I ate. Nothing I encountered gelled with my nutritional goals. Burritos swimming in grease, tacos covered in cheese and soured cream. How was I supposed to fit these into my macros?!
But I refused to surrender my Mexican meals, I had to find a way to get in a high protein, low fat, delicious alternative that left my mouth just a little bit numb.
Something with a bit of zing. Something that was low calorie, low fat, and that delivered a real kick
So it turns out that salsa is pretty healthy when it’s not used as a topping for Doritos! Seemed like the perfect sauce to satisfy my cravings.
I was obviously going to use chicken as the meat (dur), but what to bulk it out with?
I decided on sweetcorn, and protein filled black beans. I also ended up adding a little bit of extra flavour by throwing in some fajita seasoning.
So just 5 ingredients, easy!
I’d got a slow cooker a couple of weeks before that I was just dying to try out. So I chucked all the ingredients into the pot, turned the heat to low, and went about my day.
I was welcomed home 3 hours later by the aroma of some seriously spicy chicken. The chicken was so tender it just fell apart, so I decided to shred it. Two forks, a mixing bowl, and 2 minutes later, I had a pile of perfectly shredded Mexican chicken.
I stuck it back in the pot with the sauce, gave it a mix and it was good to go!
I served mine up with chargrilled veggies and white rice.
Used in this Recipe
Morphy Richards Slow Cooker
- 500g chicken breast
- 2 jars of salsa (240g total)
- 1 tin of black beans
- Old El Paso Seasoning Sachet (or a seasoning of your choice)
- 300g frozen sweetcorn
- Add the chicken, black beans, and sweetcorn to the slow cooker pot
- Add the fajita seasoning and stir
- Add the salsa and stir again
- Put on the slow cooker lid, and set the heat to ‘low’
- Go to the gym (optional)
- Allow the meat to cook for 3-4 hours, then move to a mixing bowl and shred with two forks
- Return the meat to the slow cooker and stir
- Serve with rice, veggies, wraps (whatever you fancy)
Macros per serving (makes 5 servings)